A. After a plan of merger or share exchange has been adopted and approved as required by this chapter, articles of merger or share exchange shall be signed on behalf of each party to the merger or share exchange. The articles shall set forth:
1. The plan of merger or share exchange, the names of the parties to the merger or share exchange and, for each party that is a foreign corporation or eligible entity, the name of the state or country under whose law it is incorporated or formed;
2. If the articles of incorporation of a domestic corporation that is the survivor of a merger are amended, or if a new domestic corporation is created as a result of a merger, as an attachment to the articles of merger or share exchange, the amendments to the survivor’s articles of incorporation or the articles of incorporation of the new corporation;
(2. Either the total number of votes cast for and against the plan by each voting group entitled to vote separately on the plan or the total number of undisputed votes cast for the plan separately by each voting group and a statement that the number cast for the plan by each voting group was sufficient for approval by that voting group;
5. If the plan of merger or share exchange was adopted by the directors without approval by the shareholders of a domestic corporation that was a party to the merger or share exchange, a statement that the plan of merger or share exchange was duly approved by the directors including the reason shareholder approval was not required and, in the case of a merger pursuant to § 13.1-719.1, the additional statements required by subsection D of § 13.1-719.1; and
6. As to each foreign corporation or eligible entity that was a party to the merger or share exchange, a statement that the participation of the foreign corporation or eligible entity was duly authorized as required by the organic law of the corporation or eligible entity.
B. Articles of merger or share exchange shall be filed with the Commission by the survivor of the merger or the acquiring corporation in a share exchange. If the Commission finds that the articles of merger or share exchange comply with the requirements of law and that all required fees have been paid, it shall issue a certificate of merger or share exchange. Articles of merger or share exchange filed under this section may be combined with any filing required under the organic law of any domestic eligible entity involved in the transaction if the combined filing satisfies the requirements of both this section and the other organic law.
Code 1950, §§ 13.1-72, 13.1-73; 1956, c. 428; 1968, c. 114; 1975, c. 500; 1985, c. 522; 1992, c. 575; 2000, c. 53; 2003, c. 597; 2005, c. 765; 2006, c. 363; 2009, c. 216; 2010, c. 782; 2015, c. 611.