A. The articles of incorporation shall set forth:
1. A corporate name for the corporation that satisfies the requirements of § 13.1-630;
2. The number of shares the corporation is authorized to issue;
3. If more than one class or series of shares is authorized, the number of authorized shares of each class or series and a distinguishing designation for each class or series; and
4. The address of the corporation’s initial registered office (including both (i) the post-office address with street and number, if any, and (ii) the name of the city or county in which it is located), and the name of its initial registered agent at that office, and that the agent is either (i) an individual who is a resident of Virginia and either a director of the corporation or a member of the Virginia State Bar or (ii) a domestic or foreign stock or nonstock corporation, limited liability company, or registered limited liability partnership authorized to transact business in the Commonwealth.
B. The articles of incorporation may set forth:
1. The names and addresses of the individuals who are to serve as the initial directors;
2. Any provision defining or denying the preemptive right of shareholders to acquire unissued shares of the corporation;
3. Provisions not inconsistent with law:
a. Stating the purpose or purposes for which the corporation is organized;
b. Regarding the management of the business and regulation of the affairs of the corporation;
c. Defining, limiting, and regulating the powers of the corporation, its directors, and shareholders;
d. Establishing a par value for authorized shares or classes or series of shares; and
4. Any provision that under this chapter is required or permitted to be set forth in the bylaws.
C. The articles of incorporation need not set forth any of the corporate powers enumerated in this chapter.
D. Provisions of the articles of incorporation may be made dependent upon facts objectively ascertainable outside the articles of incorporation in accordance with subsection L of § 13.1-604.
Code 1950, § 13.1-49; 1956, c. 428; 1958, c. 564; 1975, c. 500; 1985, c. 522; 1986, c. 622; 1993, c. 113; 2000, c. 162; 2001, cc. 517, 541; 2005, c. 765.