A. The following activities of a foreign business trust, among others, do not constitute transacting business within the meaning of this article:
1. Maintaining, defending, or settling any proceeding;
2. Holding meetings of its beneficial owners or carrying on any other activities concerning its internal affairs;
3. Maintaining bank accounts;
4. Maintaining offices or agencies for the transfer, exchange and registration of the foreign business trust’s securities or maintaining trustees or depositaries with respect to those securities;
5. Selling through independent contractors;
6. Soliciting or obtaining orders, whether by mail or through employees or agents or otherwise, if the orders require acceptance outside this Commonwealth before they become contracts;
7. Creating or acquiring indebtedness, deeds of trust, and security interests in real or personal property;
8. Securing or collecting debts or enforcing deeds of trust and security interests in property securing the debts;
9. Owning, without more, real or personal property;
10. Conducting an isolated transaction that is completed within 30 days and that is not one in the course of repeated transactions of a like nature;
11. For a period of less than 90 consecutive days, producing, directing, filming, crewing or acting in motion picture feature films, television series or commercials, or promotional films that are sent outside of the Commonwealth for processing, editing, marketing and distribution; or
12. Serving, without more, as a general partner of, or as a partner in a partnership that is a general partner of, a domestic or foreign limited partnership that does not otherwise transact business in the Commonwealth.
B. The term “transacting business” as used in this section shall have no effect on personal jurisdiction under § 8.01-328.1.
C. The list of activities in subsection A is not exhaustive. This section does not apply in determining the contacts or activities that may subject a foreign business trust to service of process or taxation in this Commonwealth or to regulation under any other law of this Commonwealth.
2002, c. 621; 2013, c. 25.