The Commissioner shall direct the Commonwealth’s activities and programs for recruiting and retaining health care providers for underserved populations, underserved areas, and health professional shortage areas (HPSAs) designated throughout the Commonwealth. The duties and responsibilities of the Commissioner shall include, but not be limited to:
1. Designating and updating as necessary the designation of underserved areas that meet the criteria established by the Board pursuant to § 32.1-122.5;
3. Administering the scholarship and loan repayment programs pursuant to Article 6 (§ 32.1-122.5 et seq.) of this chapter as well as any other programs or activities authorized in the appropriation act for recruiting and retaining providers for the Commonwealth’s underserved populations, underserved areas and HPSAs;
4. Recruiting health care providers, residents, and students in Virginia and other states to care for Virginia’s underserved populations and practice in underserved areas and HPSAs throughout the Commonwealth;
6. Coordinating the Department’s health workforce activities with other state agencies as well as public and private entities in Virginia involved in health workforce training, recruitment, and retention; and
7. Identifying and recommending to the Governor and the General Assembly new programs, activities, and strategies for increasing the number of providers practicing in Virginia’s underserved areas and HPSAs and serving Virginia’s underserved populations.
2000, cc. 175, 200; 2011, c. 37.