A. Farm animals, grains and other feeds used for the nurture of farm animals, agricultural products, farm machinery and farm implements are hereby defined as separate items of taxation and classified as follows:
7. Grain; tobacco; wine produced by farm wineries as defined in § 4.1-100 and other agricultural products in the hands of a producer.
8. Farm machinery other than the farm machinery described in subdivision 10, and farm implements, which shall include equipment and machinery used by farm wineries as defined in § 4.1-100 in the production of wine.
9. Equipment used by farmers or farm cooperatives qualifying under § 521 of the Internal Revenue Code to manufacture industrial ethanol, provided that the materials from which the ethanol is derived consist primarily of farm products.
11. Privately owned trailers as defined in § 46.2-100 that are primarily used by farmers in their farming operations for the transportation of farm animals or other farm products as enumerated in subdivisions A 1 through A 7 of this section.
12. Motor vehicles that are used exclusively for agricultural purposes, for which the owner is not required to obtain a registration certificate, license plate, and decal or pay a registration fee pursuant to § 46.2-665, 46.2-666, or 46.2-670.
13. Trucks or tractor trucks as defined in § 46.2-100, that are exclusively used by farmers in their farming operations for the transportation of farm animals or other farm products as enumerated in subdivisions 1 through 7 or for the transport of farm-related machinery.
B. The governing body of any county, city or town may, by ordinance duly adopted, exempt in whole or in part from taxation, or provide a different rate of tax upon, all or any of the above classes of farm animals, grains and feeds used for the nurture of farm animals, farm vehicles, and farm machinery, implements or equipment set forth in subsection A.
C. Grain; tobacco; wine produced by farm wineries as defined in § 4.1-100 and other agricultural products shall be exempt from taxation while in the hands of a producer.
Code 1950, § 58-829.1:1; 1976, c. 560; 1979, c. 576; 1980, c. 314; 1984, cc. 150, 675; 1993, c. 866; 1998, c. 332; 2004, c. 556; 2012, c. 272.