The Director of the Department of Housing and Community Development shall have the following powers and duties relating to oversight of planning district commissions:
1. To recommend to the Governor the level of state general appropriation funding for each planning district commission, taking into consideration the minimum funding level necessary for operation, the population of each district, and other factors considered appropriate;
2. To distribute state general appropriation funding to planning district commissions consistent with the provisions of this chapter and Chapter 42 (§ 15.2-4200 et seq.) of Title 15.2;
3. To administer the Regional Cooperation Incentive Fund in accordance with § 15.2-4217;
4. To provide technical assistance to planning district commissions regarding regional approaches to area-wide problems. Assistance may be initiated by the Department, individual local governments, or planning district commissions;
6. To prepare a biennial report to the Governor and the General Assembly which identifies the activities and other information deemed appropriate by the Director concerning planning district commissions, including findings as to planning district commissions which are not complying with Chapter 42 (§ 15.2-4200 et seq.) of Title 15.2. Copies of the biennial report shall also be sent to the Commission on Local Government, Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity, Department of Conservation and Recreation, Department of Environmental Quality, Department of Planning and Budget, Department of Transportation, Virginia Economic Development Partnership, and others upon request; and
7. To establish the Virginia Planning District Commission Council made up of the chairman or designated representative from each planning district commission to advise Department staff on programs, rules and regulations for the planning district commissions. Technical committees of planning district commission staff, state and local agency staff, and private sector individuals as needed, may be created.
1995, cc. 732, 796; 1996, cc. 589, 590, 598, 599; 2013, c. 482.