A. Every individual policy, subscription contract or plan delivered, issued for delivery or renewal in this Commonwealth providing benefits to or on behalf of an individual shall provide for the renewability of such coverage at the sole option of the insured, policyholder, subscriber, or enrollee. The insurer, health services plan or health maintenance organization issuing such policy, subscription contract or plan shall be permitted to refuse to renew the policy, subscription contract or plan only for one or more of the following reasons:
2. In the event that the policy, subscription contract or plan contains a provision requiring the use of network providers, a documented pattern of abuse or misuse of such provision by the insured, policyholder, subscriber, or enrollee, continuing for a period of no less than two years;
3. Subject to the time limits contained in subdivision 2 of § 38.2-3503 or in regulations adopted by the Commission governing the practices of health maintenance organizations, for fraud or material misrepresentation by the individual, with respect to his application for coverage;
4. Eligibility of an individual insured for Medicare, provided that such coverage may not terminate with respect to other individuals insured under the same policy, subscription contract or plan and who are not eligible for Medicare; and
5. The insured, subscriber, or enrollee has not maintained a legal residence in the service area of the insurer, health services plan or health maintenance organization for a period of at least six months.
7. Individual health insurance coverage as defined in subsection B of § 38.2-3431.
1996, c. 550; 1998, c. 24.