1. An adverse determination if the adverse determination involves a medical condition of the covered person for which the time frame for completion of an expedited internal appeal involving an adverse determination would seriously jeopardize the life or health of the covered person or would jeopardize the covered person’s ability to regain maximum function, and the covered person or his authorized representative has filed a request for an expedited internal appeal of the adverse determination; or
2. A final adverse determination if the covered person has a medical condition where the time frame for completion of a standard external review would seriously jeopardize the life or health of the covered person or would jeopardize the covered person’s ability to regain maximum function, or if the final adverse determination concerns an admission, availability of care, continued stay, or health care service for which the covered person received emergency services, but has not been discharged from a facility.
B. Upon receipt of a request for an expedited external review, the Commission shall promptly send a copy of the request to the health carrier. Promptly upon receipt of such request, the health carrier shall determine whether the request meets the eligibility requirements in subsection B of § 38.2-3561. The health carrier shall promptly notify the Commission, the covered person, and his authorized representative, if any, of its eligibility determination. Such notice shall include a statement informing the covered person and his authorized representative, if any, that the health carrier’s determination of ineligibility may be appealed to the Commission. If the health carrier makes an ineligibility determination, the Commission may determine that a request is eligible for external review and require that it be referred for external review. In making such determination, the Commission decision shall be made in accordance with the terms of the covered person’s health benefit plan and the requirements of subsection B of § 38.2-3561.Upon receipt of the notice that the request meets the eligibility requirements, the Commission shall promptly assign an independent review organization to conduct the expedited external review. The Commission shall promptly notify the health carrier of the name of the assigned independent review organization.
C. Promptly upon receipt of the notice from the Commission of the name of the independent review organization assigned, the health carrier or its designee utilization review entity shall provide or transmit all necessary documents and information considered in making the adverse determination or final adverse determination to the assigned independent review organization electronically, by telephone, facsimile, or any other available expeditious method.
D. The assigned independent review organization, to the extent the information or documents are available and the independent review organization considers them appropriate, shall also consider the following in reaching a decision:
3. Consulting reports from appropriate health care professionals and other documents submitted by the health carrier, covered person, his authorized representative, or the covered person’s treating provider;
5. The most appropriate practice guidelines, which shall include evidence-based standards, and may include any other practice guidelines developed by the federal government or national or professional medical societies, boards, and associations;
7. The opinion of the independent review organization’s clinical reviewer or reviewers after considering the information and documents described in clauses 1 through 6 to the extent the information and documents are available and the clinical reviewer or reviewers consider appropriate.In reaching a decision, the assigned independent review organization is not bound by any decisions or conclusions reached during the health carrier’s utilization review process or internal appeal process.
E. As expeditiously as the covered person’s medical condition or circumstances requires, but in no event more than 72 hours after the date of receipt of an eligible request for an expedited external review, the assigned independent review organization shall make a decision to uphold or reverse the adverse determination or final adverse determination and notify the covered person, his authorized representative, if any, the health carrier, and the Commission. If such decision was not in writing, within 48 hours after the date of providing such decision, the assigned independent review organization shall provide written confirmation of the decision to the covered person, his authorized representative, if any, the health carrier, and the Commission and include the information set forth in subsection I of § 38.2-3561.
2011, c. 788.