1. The purchase, lease, construction, renovation, operation, or maintenance of hospitals, medical or other health care facilities, and their ancillary equipment and other property reasonably required for its principal office or for other purposes necessary in the transaction of the business of the organization;
2. The making of loans to (i) health care providers under contract with it in advancement of its health care plan or (ii) any corporation under its control for the purpose of acquiring or constructing medical or other health care facilities and hospitals or in advancement of its health care plan providing health care services to enrollees;
5. The contracting with an insurer or with a health services plan licensed in this Commonwealth, for the provision of insurance, indemnity, or reimbursement for the cost of health care services provided by the health maintenance organization;
1. A health maintenance organization shall file notice with the Commission within 30 days after the exercise of any power granted in subdivision 1 or 2 of subsection A of this section that exceeds one percent of the admitted assets of the organization or five percent of net worth, whichever is less. A health maintenance organization shall file notice, with adequate supporting information, with the Commission prior to the exercise of any power granted in subdivision 1 or 2 of subsection A of this section that exceeds five percent of the admitted assets of the organization or 25 percent of net worth, whichever is less. Any series of transactions occurring within a 12-month period that are sufficiently similar in nature to be reasonably construed as a single transaction shall be subject to the limitations set forth in this section. The Commission shall disapprove the exercise of power if the Commission believes such exercise of power would substantially and adversely affect the financial soundness of the health maintenance organization and endanger the health maintenance organization’s ability to meet its obligations. If the Commission does not disapprove the exercise of power within 30 days of the filing, it shall be deemed approved.
2. Upon application by the health maintenance organization, the Commission may exempt from the filing requirement of subdivision 1 of subsection B of this section those activities having a minimal effect.
1980, c. 720, § 38.1-866; 1986, c. 562; 1990, c. 224; 1992, c. 481; 2003, cc. 752, 767; 2008, c. 214.