The Commissioner shall have the following powers and duties:
1. To provide information and assistance in obtaining permits relating to aquacultural activities; ¶
2. To promote aquaculture including encouraging investment in aquaculture facilities to expand production, processing capacity, and marketing; ¶
3. To work with appropriate state and federal agencies to review, develop, and implement policies and procedures to facilitate aquacultural development; ¶
4. To consult with and assist aquaculture industry groups, aquaculture associations, and academic institutions to develop, maintain, and expand the aquaculture industry; and ¶
5. To develop, support, and implement policies beneficial to Virginia aquaculture. ¶
This law has been modified 2 times since it was first created in 1992. Those modifications are cataloged by “The Acts of Assembly,” a state publication, by year and chapter. Those modifications that can be read on the General Assembly’s website will be linked accordingly. Those modifications are as follows: in 2001, chapter 320; in 2008, chapter 860.