Each department utilizing the services of volunteers shall:
1. Take actions necessary and appropriate to develop meaningful opportunities for volunteers involved in its programs and to improve public services;
2. Develop written rules governing the recruitment, screening, training, responsibility, utilization and supervision of volunteers;
3. Take actions necessary to ensure that volunteers and paid staff understand their respective duties and responsibilities, their relationship to each other, and their respective roles in fulfilling the objectives of their department;
4. Take actions necessary and appropriate to ensure a receptive climate for citizen volunteers;
5. Provide for the recognition of volunteers who have offered exceptional service to the Commonwealth; and
6. Recognize prior volunteer service as partial fulfillment of state employment requirements for training and experience established by the Department of Human Resource Management.
1977, c. 347, § 2.1-557; 1979, c. 107; 1991, c. 563; 2000, cc. 66, 657; 2001, c. 844.