1. Developing a strategic plan for the statewide delivery of workforce development and training programs and activities. The strategic plan shall be developed in coordination with the development of the comprehensive economic development policy required by § 2.2-205. The strategic plan shall include performance measures that link the objectives of such programs and activities to the record of state agencies, local workforce development boards, and other relevant entities in attaining such objectives;
2. Determining the appropriate allocation, to the extent permissible under applicable federal law, of funds and other resources that have been appropriated or are otherwise available for disbursement by the Commonwealth for workforce development programs and activities;
3. Ensuring that the Commonwealth’s workforce development efforts are implemented in a coordinated and efficient manner by, among other activities, taking appropriate executive action to this end and recommending to the General Assembly necessary legislative actions to streamline and eliminate duplication in such efforts;
5. Developing, in coordination with the Virginia Board of Workforce Development, (i) certification standards for programs and providers and (ii) uniform policies and procedures, including standardized forms and applications, for one-stop centers;
7. Establishing measures to evaluate the effectiveness of the local workforce development boards and conducting annual evaluations of the effectiveness of each local workforce development board. As part of the evaluation process, the Governor shall recommend to such boards specific best management practices;
8. Conducting annual evaluations of the performance of workforce development and training programs and activities and their administrators and providers, using the performance measures developed through the strategic planning process described in subdivision 1. The evaluations shall include, to the extent feasible, (i) a comparison of the per-person costs for each program or activity, (ii) a comparative rating of each program or activity based on its success in meeting program objectives, and (iii) an explanation of the extent to which each agency’s appropriation requests incorporate the data reflected in the cost comparison described in clause (i) and the comparative rating described in clause (ii). These evaluations, including the comparative rankings, shall be considered in allocating resources for workforce development and training programs. These evaluations shall be submitted to the chairs of the House and Senate Commerce and Labor Committees and included in the biennial reports pursuant to subdivision 10;
10. Submitting biennial reports, which shall be included in the Governor’s executive budget submissions to the General Assembly, on improvements in the coordination of workforce development efforts statewide. The reports shall identify (i) program success rates in relation to performance measures established by the Virginia Board of Workforce Development, (ii) obstacles to program and resource coordination, and (iii) strategies for facilitating statewide program and resource coordination.
2006, cc. 696, 751; 2008, cc. 269, 388; 2010, c. 573; 2014, c. 815; 2015, cc. 275, 292.