§ 8.01-670

In what cases awarded

A. Except as provided by § 17.1-405, any person may present a petition for an appeal to the Supreme Court if he believes himself aggrieved:

1. By any judgment in a controversy concerning:

a. The title to or boundaries of land,

b. The condemnation of property,

c. The probate of a will,

d. The appointment or qualification of a personal representative, guardian, conservator, committee, or curator,

e. A mill, roadway, ferry, wharf, or landing,

f. The right of the Commonwealth, or a county, or municipal corporation to levy tolls or taxes, or

g. The construction of any statute, ordinance, or county proceeding imposing taxes; or

2. By the order of a court refusing a writ of quo warranto or by the final judgment on any such writ; or

3. By a final judgment in any other civil case.

B. Except as provided by § 17.1-405, any party may present a petition for an appeal to the Supreme Court in any case on an equitable claim wherein there is an interlocutory decree or order:

1. Granting, dissolving or denying an injunction; or

2. Requiring money to be paid or the possession or title of property to be changed; or

3. Adjudicating the principles of a cause.

C. Except in cases where appeal from a final judgment lies in the Court of Appeals, as provided in § 17.1-405, any party may present a petition pursuant to § 8.01-670.1 for appeal to the Supreme Court.


Code 1950, § 8-462; 1977, c. 617; 1984, c. 703; 1997, c. 801; 2002, c. 107; 2005, c. 681.


  • Plain Text
  • JSON
  • XML