A. The Board shall have the power to adopt regulations governing the establishment and operation of a lottery. The regulations governing the establishment and operation of the lottery shall be promulgated by the Board after consultation with the Director. Such regulations shall be in accordance with the Administrative Process Act (§ 2.2-4000 et seq.). The regulations shall provide for all matters necessary or desirable for the efficient, honest and economical operation and administration of the lottery and for the convenience of the purchasers of tickets or shares, and the holders of winning tickets or shares. The regulations, which may be amended, repealed or supplemented as necessary, shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
1. The type or types of lottery or game to be conducted in accordance with § 58.1-4001.
3. The numbers and sizes of the prizes on the winning tickets or shares, including informing the public of the approximate odds of winning and the proportion of lottery revenues (i) disbursed as prizes and (ii) returned to the Commonwealth as net revenues.
9. The advertisement of the lottery in accordance with the provisions of subsection E of § 58.1-4022.
10. The licensing of agents to sell tickets or shares who will best serve the public convenience and promote the sale of tickets or shares. No person under the age of 18 shall be licensed as an agent. A licensed agent may employ a person who is 16 years of age or older to sell or otherwise vend tickets at the agent’s place of business so long as the employee is supervised in the selling or vending of tickets by the manager or supervisor in charge at the location where the tickets are being sold. Employment of such person shall be in compliance with Chapter 5 (§ 40.1-78 et seq.) of Title 40.1.
11. The manner and amount of compensation, if any, to be paid licensed sales agents necessary to provide for the adequate availability of tickets or shares to prospective buyers and for the convenience of the public. Notwithstanding the provisions of this subdivision, the Board shall not be required to approve temporary bonus or incentive programs for payments to licensed sales agents.
12. Apportionment of the total revenues accruing from the sale of tickets or shares and from all other sources and establishment of the amount of the special reserve fund as provided in § 58.1-4022 of this chapter.
13. Such other matters necessary or desirable for the efficient and economical operation and administration of the lottery.The Department shall not be subject to the provisions of Chapter 43 (§ 2.2-4300 et seq.) of Title 2.2; however, the Board shall promulgate regulations, after consultation with the Director, relative to departmental procurement which include standards of ethics for procurement consistent with the provisions of Article 6 (§ 2.2-4367 et seq.) of Chapter 43 of Title 2.2 and which ensure that departmental procurement will be based on competitive principles.The Board shall have the power to advise and recommend, but shall have no power to veto or modify administrative decisions of the Director. However, the Board shall have the power to accept, modify or reject any revenue projections before such projections are forwarded to the Governor.
C. The Board shall make a continuous study and investigation of (i) the operation and the administration of similar laws which may be in effect in other states or countries, (ii) any literature on the subject which may be published or available, (iii) any federal laws which may affect the operation of the lottery, and (iv) the reaction of Virginia citizens to the potential features of the lottery with a view to recommending or effecting changes that will serve the purpose of this chapter.
D. The Board shall hear and decide an appeal of any denial by the Director of the licensing or revocation of a license of a lottery agent pursuant to subdivision 10 of subsection A of this section and subdivision 5 of subsection B of § 58.1-4006 of this chapter.
E. The Board shall have the authority to initiate procedures for the planning, acquisition, and construction of capital projects as set forth in Article 4 (§ 2.2-1129 et seq.) of Chapter 11 and Article 3 (§ 2.2-1819 et seq.) of Chapter 18 of Title 2.2.
1987, c. 531; 1988, c. 788; 1989, c. 228; 1990, c. 732; 1999, c. 716; 2004, c. 630; 2006, c. 598; 2008, c. 302.